[aprssig] APRS DFing SUCCESS with only an HT!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 25 15:57:16 EDT 2007

To see a great view of DFing using only your mobile and an HT,
see the 5 map views of my track while recovering a tiny balloon
payload yesterday. (A key-chain 433 MHz oscillator and tiny
balloon (no APRS)).

These views are less than 100k images but very cleary show how
easy it is to find ANY RF source without any special DF
equipment, using only your mobile rig and HT with OMNI antennas.

I have added this series of annotated map images and a
description to my usual APRS DF-ing web page:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

Slide down about 70% down the page and look for HT-ONLY DF-ing:

Remember, on the east coast we don't get many balloon launches
because they all go out to sea.  So pardon my excitement.  But
this experience again proves, that we can DF anything with just
our own rigs if we just take the time.  I have been preaching
this for years, (usually from the APRS perspective), but you
simply don't need any technology.  Just your ear and the ability
to HEAR (and mentally visualize) signal strength (quieting
quality) and the patience to bracket the signal as you get
closer.

Bob, WB4APR