[aprssig] APRS DFing SUCCESS with only an HT!

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Jul 25 16:12:18 EDT 2007

Transmitter hunting is still one of the best ways to get new people
interested in ham radio.  It's also a useful skill, and there's
absolutely no substitute for practice.

SAR teams in particular (the ones I've dealt with) seem to under-utilize
their equipment.  You can do a lot better than the textbook approach of
driving to a spot, taking a bearing, plotting it on a map, and
repeating.  It just takes practice, and knowing how your equipment works
and what it's capable of.

I miss the days of driving around town with big PVC quads hanging out
the passenger's window, and then hopping out of the car to go sniff
around with an HT (antenna off, 5 kHz off frequency, using body blocking
to search for a null) to find some transmitter hidden in a field.
Haven't had a good t-hunt around here in years.

Scott
N1VG