[aprssig] D700 blowing power fuses

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Jul 19 02:42:18 EDT 2007

Doug Younker wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>

> Have you disconnected the positive lead at the radio and battery to
> check to see if there is any continuity from the positive power lead
> to the vehicle chassis?  There should be none, if there is, follow
> Matt's advice on, inspecting the harness to the radio or, abandon the
> one your using and reroute a new one, whatever is easier.  Good Luck
> Doug, N0LKK
> Kansas USA inc.
>

> Joel Kandel wrote:
>
>> Has anyone run into the D700 blowing the 20 amp fuse on the positive
>> power lead to the car battery? All cabling seems to check out until
>> connected to my D700. Then, in random intervals, the fuse blows. It
>> doesn't seem to correlate to trasmitting times either. Resistance
>> measurements on the power leads attached  to the radio with battery
>> power disconnected seem to swing between "open line" and 30 megohms.
>> Anyone know what the readings should be with power disconnected?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joel Kandel, KI4T

Joel has already said the problem only happens when the radio is
connected so that would rule out the wiring to the radio from the battery.

What form of reverse-polarity protection does the radio employ? Is it
perchance a high-wattage zener that's breaking down due to battery volts
going too high - read spikes or crook voltage regulator. I don't know
the radio so am making an educated guess based on servicing experience.

Ray vk2tv