[aprssig] UI-view Messenger

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 17 10:15:05 EDT 2007

> > Is there an "messaging only" aprs application around ?
>
> Yes, UI-Instant Messenger... as a plug-in or standalone
>      <http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/addon_agw.htm#uim>
>
> As a plug-in to UIview, it is superior to the UIview
> built-in messaging function, since it properly
> implements the decaying retry rate algorithm for unacked
> APRS messages that UIview's own message function lacks.

I hope it also implements the APRS REPLY-ACK feature that is
also left out of Uiview, that really makes dialog messages fly.
It embeds ACKS in outgoing messages to more than double the
reliability of getting an ack, and therefore greatly speeding up
message throughput in a two-way exchange.

Bob, WB4APR