[aprssig] help with UI-view

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jul 7 12:22:53 EDT 2007

Jim G1HUL wrote...

> Uh?
>
> I've had one here that was outputting NMEA sentences, and a friend of mine
> regularly uses one with UI-View. No additional software loaded in either
> case.

That's a different animal. The GPS 18 LVC (bare wires) and GPS 18 PC
(Y-cable with cig lighter plug for power and a DB9 serial connection) both
output NMEA at 4800 bps. The USB version only knows how to speak Garmin.
However, Garmin came out with a utility program for converting it over to
NMEA format. With that running, Nick will be able to use it with UI-View. Go
to www.garmin.com and navigate your way to the GPS 18 page
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=223 and click on the uploads
& downloads link...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00321-05&cID=158&pID=223
and  look for Spanner Ver. 2.1 as of Feb 08, 2007. The GPS 18 USB must be
version 2.90 or later.

Note for anyone upgrading from an earlier version of Spanner... uninstall
the previous version before installing the newer one. Also, I see that it
isn't compatible with Vista, but Garmin is working on it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH