[aprssig] help with UI-view

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 15:55:25 EDT 2007

Nick Pugh wrote:
> Hi All
> I just purchase a Gormain 18 GPS receiver with a USB input. I would
> like to configure it with UI View. I don't see a USB input for it.
>
> Help
>
> thanks
> nick k5qxj

APRS programs and APRS hardware devices (Kenwood radios, TinyTraks,
OpenTracks, KPC3+TNCs, etc.) only recognize and work with classic
RS-232   <<SERIAL>>  com ports carrying standard NMEA-format data. They
will not support or interact directly with USB devices of any kind.

Before any USB device such as a newer USB-connected GPS will work, you
will have to make it "look like" a classic serial port with an
appropriate software driver that creates a virtual (simulated) serial
port.     Garmin supplies such software on it's website.

[This driver is similar in concept to the drivers supplied with
USB-to-serial "dongles" used to add classic serial ports to newer
"legacy-free" USB-only computers.  However the Garmin driver performs
the additional step of converting the  proprietary binary Garmin GPS
data format to standard NMEA ASCII recognized by all APRS programs and
mapping applications.
     Note that the USB version of the GPS-18 ONLY outputs the
proprietary Garmin-format data while the serial-port versions of the
GPS-18 can be set to output either Garmin proprietary -OR- standard NMEA
formats.]

An alternative is the Franson GPSgate software available at:
     <http://franson.com>

This program was originally created to receive GPS data from a single
serial COM port and then split it into multiple virtual (simulated)
serial ports, so that more than one program can use the GPS at the same
time.    The current version can also receive proprietary Garmin USB as
input, and convert it into multiple standard NMEA serial streams on
simulated com ports.   For example, you could run UIview and Street
Atlas at the same time.

Note that while software fixes may allow you to use the USB GPS on
Windows PCs, it will still be unusable for direct connection to
stand-alone (non-computer) hardware devices such as Kenwood D700 radios,
TinyTracks, OpenTrackers, etc. which require "real" hardware-based
serial connections.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map