[aprssig] 220KISS

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 17:39:42 EST 2007

Hi All...

Does anyone have any informaton re the KISS only rom image "220KISS" for the Pac-Com TNC-220 ?

I have just tried it, and though it receives well, it often transmit's a blank signal, that is, it keys the radio, but send no audio, that about 50% of the time.  When it does transmit audio, often it's truncated at the begining of the packet.  When it works though, the packet and data are good.

The hardware is fine, the TNC-220 and radio (FT2700RH) are time prooved and work well.

However due to a strange issue between UiView and the original TNC firmware 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 and it's KISS implementation, I was getting overlong transmit preambles, like at least one second!  But the data payload was good.  Hence at someone else's recomendation, I went looking for this.  Google for "220KISS" (no quotes) and you'll find it.

In regular packet mode with the original firmware, the TNC works OK, no problems at all.

So, looks like a bug in the 220KISS code?  Anyone know of a copy of the sources, I have Z80 cross assemblers to hand.

I believe it was in part crafted by G8BPQ.  Anyone have any contact details for him?

It may be a "Bit Old" though..   V.32 26MAR 87   can be seen in the rom image starting at address 0003.  The size of the image is 2k (2048 bytes)

Anyone got a newer version?

Cheers...

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk