[aprssig] Local Repeater Displays on Mobiles

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Jan 23 21:49:05 EST 2007

Personally, I prefer the display in the D7 and D700 with the repeater
callsign and a SSID of R which is easy to spot and recognize as a
repeater as it goes by or as you look in the heard list (using standard
object format with callsign-R as the object name).  This also removes
any guesswork with propagation wiping out local repeaters.  I also
prefer using RNGxxxx instead of PHGxxxx because it is obvious in the D7
and D700 if I am in range of the repeater.  The format I have used which
makes the repeater callsign, range, frequency, and tone all visible on a
D7 (so of course, on a D700) is:

;RPTRCL-R *111111z4612.74N/06320.46WrRNG0020 146.74- 110.9 Club Initials

This causes RPTRCL-R (replace RPTRCL with the repeater callsign) to be
displayed when received and to be listed in the posit list.  When you go
to the actual listing, you see on a D7:

OBJECT
<-MYCALL

RNG0020 14
6.74- 110.

Symbol and distance.

I know it is an object, not an APRS station, broadcast by MYCALL.  I
know it has a range of 20 miles and it is on 146.74, minus shift, 110.9
tone (there is only 110 tone as is the case with all other tones).  I
see the repeater symbol and I know if I am within the 20 mile range
because of the distance shown.

If you want to persist in broadcasting frequencies as the ID using the
third-party packet format, then add ,TCPIP* to the third-party path (not
the RF path) so it won't get back into APRS-IS.  Personally, I would
like to look at a map of say Annapolis on the web and see what repeaters
are identified in the area as "APRS-user-friendly" but your method
precludes that from happening.  My method does not.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net