[aprssig] Local Repeater Displays on Mobiles

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 24 09:46:11 EST 2007

> Personally, I prefer the display in the D7 and D700 with the
> repeater callsign and a SSID of R which is easy to spot and
> recognize as a repeater...

I guess with my old eyes, while driving, it is harder to see a
-R than to see 146.940-.  The frequency really makes it stand
out on the D700 display.

> This also removes any guesswork with propagation [overwriting]
> local repeaters.

I assume that that problem is insignificant.  In areas that have
multiple identical repeaters on identical frequencies and lots
of tropo, then there are 36 ways to make the repeater unique:

146.94- is different from 146.940- is different from 146.94 and
146.940 and then you can add A,B,C,D or anything else to the
name to make it unique.  In fact, one can come up with 1296
different letter combinatinos on the end to make each repeater
unique.  The "-" is not required, since almost all repeaters use
standard offsets, and those that don't, then usually are not 600
KHz either and so need additional info anyway.

> I also prefer using RNGxxxx instead of PHGxxxx because it is
> obvious in the D7 and D700 if I am in range of the repeater.

Hey, that is a great idea.  I didn't realize that it would
properly decode the RNG value, since it gets screwed up on the
PHG value.  If RNG works, then I agree.  Lets use that for omni
antennna repeaters.  For those that have an offset pattern,
though, the PHGD format would still be needed for the
directivity digit..

> If you want to persist in broadcasting frequencies as the ID
> using 3rd-party format, then add ,TCPIP* to the path so it
> won't get back into APRS-IS.... I would like to look at a
> APRS-IS map ... and see what repeaters are ... in the area

I agree it is nice to look at an area from afar.  I see several
ways to do that:

1) Set one's local client to X miles around the area of interest
2) Set an APRS-IS filter to X miles around the area of interest
3) Use FFF.FFF-X where X is one of 36 discriminators
4) AlsoFFF.FFF+X works too..

This way we still keep the FFF.FFF display on the radio's
station list so that it is very obvious.  So with your RNG
suggestion, then I like the formats of

BT }146.940-A>APOBJ:!DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrRNGxxxx PL 107.5  Net Th
9PM AARC W3VPR
BT }146.940-A>APOBJ:!DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrPHGxxxx PL 107.5  Net Th
9PM AARC W3VPR

So that the PL and the Net time (if any) shows up on both the D7
and D700 and the club name or club call show up on D700 or other
programs.

Bob, WB4APR

> > From: Robert Bruninga
> > Posted At: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:52 PM
> > Subject: RE: [aprssig] Local Repeater Displays on Mobiles
> >
> > > Shows up as a fixed station with the senders CALL.
> >
> > ARGH!!  You are right.  OK, here is the receommended new
format
> > that will work.  We will send the objects in 3rd party
format so
> > that the PHG will work correctly.
> >
> > BT }146.670->APOBJ:4612.74N/06320.46WrPHG8560 IRLP2030
VE1CRA