[aprssig] Solar Power Temporary Digi

John Gleichweit smokeybehr at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 14 12:34:46 EST 2007

Depending on the distance between the digis, you may be able to get away with using HTs, which will cut the power consumption considerably, and if you can turn off the LED indicators on the TNC, it will cut the power consumption even further, allowing a smaller battery. If you're using a 30' mast, you can use a 5/8 wave or even a 5/8 over 5/8 antenna, and get quite a bit of gain. Get gel cell batteries if possible, but definitely put whatever battery and equipment you're using into some kind of box, preferably waterproof. I use milsurp ammo cans for a lot of projects, and drill/punch holes in them for the fittings. My next possible project is a WiFi repeater in a can, with a couple of gel cell batteries in the bottom, a non-conductive separator, then the electronics compartment with the AP, and antennas on the top, with fittings on the side for power and ethernet.