[aprssig] D700-external PIC processing

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Mon Feb 12 18:52:11 EST 2007

one caveat I discovered when implementing smart beaconing via the serial
port.... anytime you send a command via the serial port, it will "snatch"
the display from you.  For example, you are entering a message using the
DMTF keypad and a command gets send over serial port, the message will
simply exit and you loose what you were doing.  It's pretty darned
frustrating, so much so that I abandoned smart beaconing for the d700.  Now,
simply catching data from the serial port with a external processor,
manipulating it and sending to the GPS would be ok... but trying to set
frequecy on the display _will_ interrupt the user if he's doing something...
and I could not find a way to let the external processor know that you were
using the display to hold off sending data.....

Wes