[aprssig] Voice Alert Simplicity!

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Feb 11 15:31:14 EST 2007

Also, the last voice alert contact I made was HEARD on my speaker much
longer that DECODED by the kenwood.  So if I had beenwatching my GPS it
would not have shown the other station until long after I heard his packet
racket with 100hz PL tone.  Matter of fact, I think I only got two, maybe
three good hits decoded out of him.

Wes

On 2/11/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> > ... has *anyone* ever made a random voice alert contact?
> > Better to use the GPS display to see when someone's coming,
> > IMHO.  Especially when you can check the waypoint comments
> > and see if they have a calling frequency listed.
>
> Wow...  You are saying it is easier to:
>
> 1) Look at the GPS display continuously* while driving
> 2) Press buttons to select station and display status
> 3) TO look for his frequency (which he usually is not on)
> 4) to then Tune the radio to that frequency
> 5) Check map scale/terrain to see if you are in simplex range
> 6) Then calling him to see if he is listening?
> 7) And having  poor probabilility of success (#3 and #5)
>
> Comparing that to hands-free-eyes-free Voice Alert:
>
> 1) Hear a ping (eyes always on the road)
> 2) The quality of the ping guarantees his range
> 3) Press BAND-A button, and CALL him?
>
> With voice alert, you already know (guaranteed):
>
> A) His VOICE monitoring frequency (APRS, 144.39 in USA)
> B) His Range is simplex, and quality is KNOWN (by ear)
> C) He *is* listening on 144.39 with CTCSS 100
> D) He *is* calling CQ on Voice alert and wants to QSO
> E) Everything is already in place.  All you have to do is pick
> up mic and PTT
>
> Seems much easier and guaranteed than the "easier" method  you
> suggest.
>
> Try it, you'll love it!
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/VoiceAlert.htm
>
> * I say you have to watch the GPS display under your scheme
> "continuously"  at least once every 3 minutes or so without fail
> to have the same measure of success as with voice alert.
> Because two passing interstate vehicles have usually 3 minutes
> or less in some terrain to do the QSO.  At a reliable simplex
> range of 3 to 5 miles and passing at 140 MPh, that leaves only 2
> minutes to see this guy in range.  Now admittedly, you can watch
> the GPS at a larger scale, but then you are not getting a clear
> view of your simplex range...
>
> In my case, the wife is the biggest distraction, and can cause
> great lapses in continuous GPS vigilance.
>
> I prefer doing it by ear with Voice Alert.
>
> WB4APR, Bob

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.