[aprssig] Voice Alert Simplicity!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Feb 11 10:07:19 EST 2007

> ... has *anyone* ever made a random voice alert contact?
> Better to use the GPS display to see when someone's coming,
> IMHO.  Especially when you can check the waypoint comments
> and see if they have a calling frequency listed.

Wow...  You are saying it is easier to:

1) Look at the GPS display continuously* while driving
2) Press buttons to select station and display status
3) TO look for his frequency (which he usually is not on)
4) to then Tune the radio to that frequency
5) Check map scale/terrain to see if you are in simplex range
6) Then calling him to see if he is listening?
7) And having  poor probabilility of success (#3 and #5)

Comparing that to hands-free-eyes-free Voice Alert:

1) Hear a ping (eyes always on the road)
2) The quality of the ping guarantees his range
3) Press BAND-A button, and CALL him?

With voice alert, you already know (guaranteed):

A) His VOICE monitoring frequency (APRS, 144.39 in USA)
B) His Range is simplex, and quality is KNOWN (by ear)
C) He *is* listening on 144.39 with CTCSS 100
D) He *is* calling CQ on Voice alert and wants to QSO
E) Everything is already in place.  All you have to do is pick
up mic and PTT

Seems much easier and guaranteed than the "easier" method  you
suggest.

Try it, you'll love it!
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/VoiceAlert.htm

* I say you have to watch the GPS display under your scheme
"continuously"  at least once every 3 minutes or so without fail
to have the same measure of success as with voice alert.
Because two passing interstate vehicles have usually 3 minutes
or less in some terrain to do the QSO.  At a reliable simplex
range of 3 to 5 miles and passing at 140 MPh, that leaves only 2
minutes to see this guy in range.  Now admittedly, you can watch
the GPS at a larger scale, but then you are not getting a clear
view of your simplex range...

In my case, the wife is the biggest distraction, and can cause
great lapses in continuous GPS vigilance.

I prefer doing it by ear with Voice Alert.

WB4APR, Bob