[aprssig] Weather station path?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Feb 10 18:02:55 EST 2007

Art K0RX wrote...

> I have a newly assembled K0RX weather station...
> It will transmit on 144.39 Mhz. But, I need to know what
> path to program in... I was told to use an unproto path of
> RELAY, WIDE2-2. I'd like it to be digipeated locally, and
> to go through enough digi's so that it makes the nearest
> internet gateway... I think the biggest issue I can remember
> from previous discussions here is that the RELAY path
> should not be used

That is correct... RELAY is obsolete in North America and should NOT be
used. Try a path of WIDE2-1 for a one hop path. If you can hit a 'high"
digi, your weather data will be visible anywhere in the footprint of that
digi. If you need a two-hop path to either spread your WX data a bit
further, or to hit an IGate, instead use WIDE2-2. Don't use WIDE1-1 from a
fixed station. Give these suggestions a try and see how you make out.

Just keep in mind that RELAY, WIDE, and TRACEn-N are obsolete in North
America. If you know anyone that is still using them, try some gentle
persuasion to get them to update their settings whether they are mobile
stations or digi operators. The "universal' setting in North America is
WIDE2-2 for fixed stations unless you need less in which case WIDE2-1 would
be recommended. For mobiles, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 would be the recommended
setting. A few (very few) places might need a slightly longer path.

Is this close enough to central Maine?
www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?lat=45.3&lon=-69.2&last=1&rate=1

It looks like a number of stations are using paths longer than the two hops.
It could be that more than two hops are needed, but I would be very
surprised. Some of the weather stations I looked at were using one or two
hop paths.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH