[aprssig] Weather Bulletins for Central/South Central PA

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Dec 16 11:35:10 EST 2007

Darrell N3QBI wrote...

> After recently installing UI-NWS, and making the correct settings for
> my area, it seems to me that the only weather bulletins being sent out
> over APRS are for the Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas (I
> even saw one for Detroit!!).
>
> My question is: are the bulletins being sent out for the area covered
> by the State College PA weather office (which handles the weather
> forecasting for my area)??

I don't think you said what is the callsign-SSID of the station that
isn't receiving the NWS bulletins, but guessing that it might be N3QBI I
looked at <http://map.findu.com/N3QBI*>. I see that N3QBI is UI-View
with an RF connection and N3QBI-4 is a UI-View based weather station
also with an RF connection.

Is it on N3QBI that you aren't seeing the NWS bulletins that you
are looking for? If that station is on RF only, you aren't going to
see any NWS bulletins at all unless your local IGate is gating them to
RF. I don't think any responsible IGate is going to gate all NWS
bulletins to RF, but they might gate local bulletins. If you had a TCPIP
connection, you could get all of them yourself. You did say...

>  Even checking the "raw" data directly, I don't seem to find
> any for the central/south central part of PA. (the zones are:
> PA035, 036, 063 and 064...and the counties are Franklin,
> Fulton, Cumberland and Adams).

I'm not sure if you are inferring the raw data is from the APRS-IS or
what you are seeing on RF.

By any chance are you using PMapServer 7? If so, do you have "shade
states" enabled. It looks that would hide all the warnings etc. from
UI-NWS

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH