[aprssig] xastir map conversion info needed

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 15 19:13:04 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 01:47:33PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rwhart at comcast.net> flavor, containing:
> I have xastir running under XP with cygwin. It really is a very nice system. Since i have map point and precision mapping v8, I would like to know if I can use them. Any conversion information really would be appreciated.

In general, xastir can't work with proprietary commercial map packages.  There
are some exceptions, but mappoint and precision mapping are not among them.
Mostly xastir supports only open-source or otherwise free map options (about
120 different map formats, but it's up to you to find the maps).  If you're
just looking for general street-level maps, you can check out the TIGER/Line
shapefiles on ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/ in the pub/TIGER_2006_SE/ directory.

If you can export maps from mappoint or pm then you could possibly massage them
into a format that xastir can use, but it's gonna be a pretty big job.