[aprssig] Weather Bulletins for Central/South Central PA

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 15:04:49 EST 2007

DL3 wrote:
> All,
>
> After recently installing UI-NWS, and making the correct settings for
> my area, it seems to me that the only weather bulletins being sent out
> over APRS are for the Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas (I
> even saw one for Detroit!!).
>
> My question is: are the bulletins being sent out for the area covered
> by the State College PA weather office (which handles the weather
> forecasting for my area)?? Even checking the "raw" data directly, I
> don't seem to find any for the central/south central part of PA.
> (the zones are: PA035, 036, 063 and 064...and the counties are
> Franklin, Fulton, Cumberland and Adams).

Just realized a couple of questions that need answering....

1)    You have downloaded and installed the NWS shapefiles haven't
you?    Without the shapefiles, you MAY see a few alerts sent as APRS
area objects by individual hams,  but the vast majority of warnings and
watches, originated by the NWS, won't show without the shape files
installed and UI-NWS running.

2)    You must have the current versions of the shapefiles.  The county
outlines don't change very often, but the NWS warning zones change
frequently ( one or two times a year ).  If you have an outdated version
of the shapefiles the wrong places (or none at all) will light up in
UI-NWS.

Links for downloading and info for using the shapefiles are here on my
website:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/get_nws_shapefiles.htm>

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com