[aprssig] WIDE7-7 in the PNW

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 11 17:08:42 EST 2007

>> Do you really need:
>> UIDIGI ON WIDE4-4,WIDE5-5,WIDE6-6,WIDE7-7
>
> That is to trap long paths. It will give one
> hop to beacons with a WIDE4-4 etc. path and
> they will end there. However, the recommendation
> is to allow WIDE7-7 in case someone ever really
> needs a long path.

I believe that is only a "recommendation" in the pacific
northwest.  I personally do not recommend that WIDE7-7 EVER be
used or recommended for anything period.  Theoretically, such a
path could saturate the entire west coast from Seattle to
Sandiego, pacific ocean to Colorado.  I cannot imagine any
viable use for such an abusive path.  Since the entire pacific
Northwest can be saturated with a packet as simple as WIDE4-4, I
would hope that they would limit their recommendations for
flooding emergencies to only that.

But again, only my opinion from afar...

Bob, Wb4APR