[aprssig] APRS - They don't get it (over on qrz.com)

Rich Mulvey aprs at mulveyfamily.com
Mon Aug 27 19:28:48 EDT 2007

Scott Miller wrote:
> Wow - APRS is 'crippled' packet and we'd be better off using the real
> thing?
>
> That's like saying UDP is crippled TCP, and all of those streaming
> video and VoIP applications would be better off using a proper
> connection-oriented protocol.
>
> What relevance would a point-to-point connection-oriented transport
> protocol have to a one-to-many short message broadcast mode?  Someone
> just doesn't get it.

   There are three guys in particular - all of whom, unsurprisingly, are
posting in the referenced thread - who have been denigrating
*everything* that is not 80's-style BBS operations for *years*.  They
started out in USENET, and have migrated to the various web forums.
Seriously, look up the guys with the most negative comments.  They
never, ever have a good word to say about anything, no matter what the
subject.  They're simply losers who can't stand it when someone else
enjoys something.

   Basically, if the three guys in question say something, you should
immediately assume that the opposite is true.  And you will be correct
100% of the time.

- Rich