[aprssig] APRS - They don't get it (over on qrz.com)

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:59:15 EDT 2007

>    There are three guys in particular - all of whom, unsurprisingly, are
> posting in the referenced thread - who have been denigrating
> *everything* that is not 80's-style BBS operations for *years*.  They
> started out in USENET, and have migrated to the various web forums.
> Seriously, look up the guys with the most negative comments.  They
> never, ever have a good word to say about anything, no matter what the
> subject.  They're simply losers who can't stand it when someone else
> enjoys something.
>
>    Basically, if the three guys in question say something, you should
> immediately assume that the opposite is true.  And you will be correct
> 100% of the time.

Not exactly..      (All absolute statements are wrong --  I love
getting a chance to throw that out..)    The scary part is that once
one gets past the emotional verbaige and looks at the underlying
details, much of what is said has a basis in truth.  APRS , legacy
packet and the AX25 TCP/IP I was involved in would all have evolved
differently had it not been for the Internet influence.

Speaking of pure APRS and to backup what Bob posted -- how many folks
on here are actually using APRS for more then simple tracking and
using it with home stations on the air?   Any guesses on the
percentage?   (Hmm - we can calculate that from the APRS-IS feed...)

Bill WA7NWP