Using the D700 without the control head. (Was RE: [aprssig] "Best" Mobile APRS Radio & TNC

Ken H> sailingtoo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:53:26 EDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Dave,
>  Are you sure it controls a head-less radio?    That
> page doesn't say.
>  Or does it just control the radio via the serial
> port, but the head is still connected?
>
> 73, Steve K9DCI
>
> --- Dave Baxter <dave at emv.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~g6odt/d700.html
> >
> > Shows a program to do the rig control trick without
> > the head unit.
> >
> > Like the page says, still in beta state, but my
> > contact says it's
> > reasonably reliable.

>From the webpage: It does appear to power up without the display
attached but both the radio and the program gets confused as not all
the normal responses appear to the commands sent to the radio so don't
expect too much to work without the front. Also it seems to go back to
standby after a short time without the front.

This says it will sorta work without the control head, I gotta try that program.

73 Ken H> K9FV