[aprssig] D710 GPS Port

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:49:49 EDT 2007

I highlighted that device to (among other places) the TinyTrak list, was
told in reply it uses too much power.

However, it will do the job.  But...  The main problem still applies,
you need to know the comm's spec of the device you connect to it, if it
is just using a serial TTL to USB chip (another FTDI procuct) then it
could be easy to unscramble and get the data.  But if it's an
undocumented proprietary protocol...  How much time have you got.

The Vinculum chip and the worked examples, generaly work with memory
sticks or cards, even USB web-cam's, where the interface and protocol is
well documented.

This thing can also work as a USB "Device", so it has multiple uses.

Even so, a single chip USB host with low power needs can't be far
away...  Just that we need to understand the exact needs of things such
as USB driven GPS receivers.

As some have found, if you can crack one of the common hocky puck
devices open, sometimes you can ID the USB chip, and the serial lines
from that to the main CPU.  At least one person has reported that they
then cut and diverted them down the wire, to something like a MAX232
chip.

As to the TH-D710.  I doubt if I will ever own one.  But, as again
someone else pointed out, why did they not create an option of a GPS RX
built into the head (that is often visible RF wise to the outside), so
that when you stuck it with velcro (or whatever) to the dash of your
car/truck/boat/bike etc, it just worked, much as the "consumer" sat-nav
devices do.   Perhaps as an option, a different version head, with such
a chipset and antenna built in might become available in the future if
enough people badger Kenwood for it?

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.