[aprssig] D710 GPS Port

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Aug 17 09:37:51 EDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 7:49 AM, Dave Baxter wrote:

> The main problem still applies,
> you need to know the comm's spec of the device you connect to it,
> if it
> is just using a serial TTL to USB chip (another FTDI procuct) then it
> could be easy to unscramble and get the data.

Their current firmware (I don't remember which version) already knows
how to talk to an FTDI usb/232 device.  I haven't quite figured out
the utility of such an arrangement, unless it is to extend it so that
several such devices can be used at once.

I wouldn't mind seeing USB HID keyboard and mouse firmware for it.
(Oddly enough, it seems to have support for two PS/2 ports, but I
haven't explored that.)

> As to the TH-D710.  I doubt if I will ever own one.

Me either, but if they have pulled the microcontroller out of the
radio case and put it in the control head, then it opens up the
possibility of reverse engineering the protocol and replacing the
control head with some custom device.  I guess technically we could
have done that with the D700 (and I seem to recall someone got a
start on it).

All things considered, it still seems like a giant step sideways
(with maybe a tiny forward movement) compared to the D700.  Hopefully
the price will come down to match the D700 once the stock of D700s
are cleared out and the "new" wears off a bit.

-Jason
kg4wsv