[aprssig] TinyTrak with D700 note from a few months back?

David Kindred david at retroscape.com
Thu Aug 16 13:30:38 EDT 2007

Keith, Wes and Andrew,

Thank you for your responses. I'm sorry I wasn't very specific in stating
my dissatisfaction with the way the D700 is performing APRS transmissions.
I've found, that the D700 isn't beaconing at an interval that seems to
supply as much location information as I'd like for my family to be able
to locate me. Even if I have it set to beacon every 3 minutes, here in the
DC area at the hours I drive, I don't see very many transmissions getting
through. (There's a lot of APRS traffic around here.) The TinkyTrak,
however, with its variable beaconing rate, and its sensitivity to turns,
seemed to get significantly more reports out, and that with an HT running
at 1/10 the power.

Wes, I'm pretty sure you were the clever one, all right. NICE IDEA! I did
not recall correctly what equipment was being used. I was hoping to
implement something similar with a smart beaconing trigger causing a
manual position report to be sent. I didn't realize how spoiled I was by
the smart beaconing!

I don't want to hook up a TNC, because I very much enjoy receiving the
position reports of others. Guess I need to put more thought into this.

Thank you all,

73,

--David, KB3NAI