[aprssig] TinyTrak with D700 note from a few months back?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Aug 15 22:30:53 EDT 2007

That clever person may have been me... but it wasn't a tiny track... it was
(my fav....) a basic stamp II.  Basically, you set the d700 up for a 30
minute auto beacon rate.  The basic stamp is hooked in parallel with the gps
input to the d700 and it figures out when the tell the d700 to beacon.  It
then sends the command to the d700 to BCN 0 waits one second, and sends BCN
1.  This effectively toggles the beacon as if you had done it from the front
panel manually and causes the d700 to transmit.  The only problem with this
is that it has no way to know you are entering a message from the keypad and
if you are moving while creating a message and the basic stamp decides it's
time to beacon, it will exit from the message and beacon.  This causes you
to loose all the text you typed in.  bummer.  Of couse if you simply don't
enter messages while you are moving, it's a great little thing.

I can dig thru my archives and find it if you are still interested.

Wes

On 8/15/07, David Kindred <david at retroscape.com> wrote:

> Howdy, all.
>
> I've recently "kind of" gotten my D700 working with a GPS receiver, but
> I'm not really satisfied with its transmitting performance, as opposed
> to my old HT/TinyTrak combo. I seem to recall some clever person posted
> a way of getting the TinyTrak to trigger transmission on the D700, but I
> can't find the copy of the digest with it. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?
>
> 73!
>
> --David, KB3NAI

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.