[aprssig] GPS Recommendations Needed

gerheim at cox.net gerheim at cox.net
Fri Aug 10 13:26:59 EDT 2007

I've owned (all Garmin) GPS-12, eTrex Legend, and just got a GPSmap 60.  You should be able to get any of them for < $200.  Shop around for the GPSmap 60!

I really like the maps for navigation, and wouldn't do without them.

GPS-12  Bulletproof display, software.  Perfect minimal rig. No maps.

eTrex Legend:  Had some trouble with the display and click stick <tm> controller.  Other than that, great.  The original unit was _cheerfully,_painlessly_ replaced by Garmin.

GPSmap 60:  Has auto-routing.  This means you can be on the road, with your PC back home, and it'll determine a route for you.  Very handy, although I think the algorithm could use a little work.  It keeps taking me off the interstate if a _shorter_ US route will get from one exit to the next.  Stupid.  It also has USB _and_ Serial Port.  This way, you can talk to the PC with the USB port, and (without reconfiguring) drive your Kenwood, or TT3 with the serial port.  (Maybe both at the same time - I haven't tried!  :-)    )

Most notable trips for the eTrex Legend were hikes in the NH White Mountains in Winter.  20' visibility.  No problem.  (BTW, not recommended to trust _only_ a GPS receiver!)  Another time, there was a problem determining if we'd actually "summitted".  The eTrex Legend said we had.

Also - Except for some issues with MapSource <tm> waypoints and com-port-finding, the Garmin (including MotionBased.com stuff) works so well, it's like using a MAC.  (Got Vista?!  <undo> )

(Not affilliated with Garmin.  Wish I were...)

--
-Al Gerheim

HP-49G+ Software Page:
http://members.cox.net/above