[aprssig] GPS Recommendations Needed

Amir Findling sarlabs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 13:33:45 EDT 2007

Using a laptop, in a vehicle with a passenger side airbag, may not be
the safest thing to do.

OTOH, I just checked eBay and they have Garmin 60CS going for about
$200.00. For road, turn-by-turn navigation you'll need City Navigator
and perhaps an external antenna.

I'm using a 60CS in my truck for APRS and it even displays the location
of the stations received on a color screen. Memory is limited to 64 megs
so if planning long trips you may need to reload maps from a laptop but
in state, that is enough.

73 de Amir K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

K9 Training Officer, Cayuga County Highland SAR,
http://www.cayuganet.org/highlandsar/index.html

K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org
<http://www.nysfedsar.org/>

1^st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org/>

Apprentice Tracker, Joel Hardin Professional Tracking Services,
www.jhardin-inc.org <http://www.jhardin-inc.org/>