[aprssig] Re: Functional path to hit both WIDE and WIDEn-n digis?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 26 14:17:55 EDT 2007

> > .... An option would be to put your own
> > "new paradigm" digi(s)... If the DIGI operators
> > either just don't care... or are too lazy to
> > change their settings, there isn't much you can
> > do except hope... for someone to replace
> > them.
>
> Well, we don't really have snow... in Atlanta...
>
> The question has been asked... and none of
> them have really changed.  There are a lot of digis
> using RELAY and WIDE and not many using anything else.

I think all of Alabama is New-N and happily report that it
really made a difference there.  It is sad to hear that the
Atlanta Area may not have updated its settings.  Basically then,
Atlanta does not have a functional system and it should be
abandoned.  Try to get all users to set their HOME stations to
WIDE1-1 instead of RELAY.

Then the only possible compromise path would be VIA
WIDE1-1,WIDE.

This way, you can be heard at least one hop anyhwere else that
you travel, and if you get enough home stastions to set up with
ALIASES of WIDE1-1, then you can cause the change to happen even
without the participation of recalcitrant digi sysops.
Eventually someone else with access to good sites can put up a
few good New-N digis and the old systems will just die.

> I certainly can't afford to add my own digis
> everywhere and neither can the club station here hence
> the reason for asking about a one-fits-all path.

Again, only solution is to go around the recalcitrant digi
owners, and get all home stations to set up to support WIDE1-1
as the first hop.  Also, ANY TNC can be set up as a 1-hop
WIDE1-1 digs, so just work around the sysops and set up as many
as  you can.

Eventually when you do get new-N digipeaters in place, you may
have to go back and turn off a lot of these temporarily WIDE1-1
fill-in digis.

Bob, WB4APR