[aprssig] What settings for igate?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:11:23 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Seeing all this BBS discussion on wide-blah-dash-blah, etc, made me think
that I should have my ARPS station contribute to capturing local traffic and
igateing it to the internet.  Should I?  What settings?

I had a "spare" Alinco HT, MFJ-1278 TNC, and computer doing nothing special,
so I started playing around with APRS.  The computer is running SuSE Linux
10.2, so I loaded up xastir v1.8.0 and cabled up the TNC and radio and a
J-pole antenna.  It's been useful to see the several weather stations in the
area, though my kids think it's a bit spooky to see Dad stalking other
hams...  :-).

Currently I am only transmitting my fixed position once/hr, with a "house"
icon.  I see xastir settings under Interface control -> Properties to gate
RF to Internet, and to set the unproto paths.  Presumably I just check the
RF to Internet only box, as my station is not very high level and wouldn't
be a help going the other direction.  The first unproto path is set to
WIDE2-1, and the others are blank.  Is this correct?  I think most of the
other settings are pretty much default.  Anything I should change or verify
before turning it on?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH