[aprssig] Weather questions

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 22 12:55:28 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Earl Needham wrote:

>         Am I reading this right?  You no longer require HUNDREDS of files to
> show warnings, etc., all over the country on the map?

Not sure about the other APRS programs, but Xastir uses Shapefile
maps from NOAA, and there are only 6 or 8 files to download to get
them all.  Each archive will explode into 3 or more files.  As far
as I know there have never been hundreds of files to download in
order to get the weather alerts on your screen.

These files do represent thousands of different areas that can be
lit up, but there are hundreds of them in each Shapefile set.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer