[aprssig] Is this APRS Spamming ??

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Thu Apr 19 17:23:39 EDT 2007

As I mentioned in the CA-APRS list, my problem with this particular bulletin
is that it appears to come from the store itself - there's no indication in
the status text that it's posted by a club - and unlike 'for sale' listings
on your weekly net, this is advertising items *from the store*, not from a
club or an individual.  Even if it is a club responsible for posting the
message, they're not advertising that the club has equipment - they're
saying that the store has it, and if that doesn't count as a commercial
advertisement, I don't know what does.

I'm not one to encourage blind adherence to the absolute letter of the law
to the exclusion of a bit of common sense (we've got enough armchair lawyers
around here already who would rather fight over interpretations of
oddly-worded, vaguely applicable regulations than do something productive
with the hobby) but this case would seem to fail the most basic test of
whether it appears to be consistent with the non-commercial spirit of
amateur radio.

Scott
N1VG

  _____