[aprssig] Dayton Pilgrimage Mobile Settings

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:04:38 EDT 2007

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Dayton Pilgrimage Mobile Settings
>
> This is very interesting, but must require a specific
> radio to allow mapping of all packets.  The way my rigs
> are setup, if I have a CTCSS of 100 for RX, I will only
> receive packets that have this CTCSS and nothing else...

Yes, good question.  If you connect your TNC to a radio for APRS
mobile, to make Voice Alert work, you have to connect to the
Discriminator output, and not the speaker output.  This way, the
TNC hears everything, but the speaker only hears other PL-100
Voice Alert users.  That is how we get DUAL-USE out of the same
radio and the same channel.

If you connect your TNC to the speaker, and set CTCSS 100, then
your TNC wont hear anything except the very rare local simplex
direct guy less than 5 miles away..  Not a very interesting APRS
map...  SO if connected to a speaker, then you cannot run
simultaneous Voice Alert.

You might be tempted to set the radio to TX PL100, but PLEASE DO
NOT.  If you TX with PL100, that is like a VOICE CQ, and it
MEANS: "Im running voice alert and I am LISTENING for a call".
SO the last thing we would ever want to hear is PL100 pings with
"no one home"...  Thanks for asking...

Bob, WB4APR

> At 12:41 PM 4/19/2007, you wrote:
> >VOICE ALERT:  This setting for APRS mobiles TX and RX's with
> >CTCSS 100.  Thus, even though the channel is full of packets,
> >NONE of them have PL 100 except the direct packet from a
nearby