[aprssig] SSID for RF only Station with backup power

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 17:16:34 EDT 2007

kc5zrq at gmail.com wrote:
> This week I'll be installing a larger battery backup system at my
> Digipeater/Internet Gateway/Telpac Gateway site.  It's not really
> designed to power the system for an extended period.  It has two 12V
> 95Ah batteries, but it will be powering a computer, two radios and the
> wireless network sytem.  My guess is that it will run for an hour or
> so before losing power. In that time period, if we decide the station
> is important enough, then we have a small gasoline generator we can
> carry to the site.

190 Ah can only power this for an hour??   What are you using -- vacuum
tube radios??    Take a look at my ham server at:

     < http://wa8lmf.net/EPIAserver >

I am powering a PC, two TNCs, and three transceivers (a TS-50, a VHF
monobander and a UHF monobander), a Linksys router and a cable modem  on
a total of 7.5 AMPs at 12.6 VDC.  The computer's monitor is a Samsung
192MP 19" flat panel with a built-in TV tuner that also runs directly
from 12VDC. Normally it is off, but when turned on it only adds about
1.5A to the drain.

With you battery setup and only 50% discharging the batteries, my setup
would run for at least half a day or more.