[aprssig] Too many digi's ?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:05:33 EDT 2006

> If the digis are all configured with dwait=0 and other
> appropriate settings so that they all digi, immediately
> and in unison, more digis, in general, are a
> good thing.

Yes, DWAIT must be set to 0.  But I wonder about the phrase
"more digis are a good thing.  Of course it depends.  If a
mobile can be heard in an area, then more digis is a
bad thing.  And remember there will always be some collisions,
so just because a single track had an outage area, does not mean
it is always blocked.

One way to improve coverage in a bad area is to *** reduce all
the QRM coming in from out of the area from all other directions
to the existing digis ***.  Most digis are high enough so that
even if they could hear a mobile in the black-hole, they might
normally be able to hear other QRM from elsewhere just as
strongly or strong enough so that it collides with the mobile in
the area under consideration.

SO my suggestion is to -not- start adding many digis to fill in
black holes until the wider area has first fully adopted the
New-N paradigm to cut down on the QRM that the existing digis
are hearing from all over.  Once they are hearing a clearer
channel, then they should be able to hear better down into some
of the previous black holes.

De WB4APR