[aprssig] Too many digi's ?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Oct 20 10:37:18 EDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:

> For a comparison, Wyoming was talking about launching cell sites on
> high altitude balloons, so that two or three such cells could cover
> the state.  North Alabama isn't all that highly populated compared
> to some places, but I'd guess it is a lot closer to average than
> Wyoming, and our cell towers are around 50' to 75' (and there are a
> lot more than three).

Actually that would be North Dakota talking about that.  Because of
the mountains, even a high balloon would have many shadows in
Wyoming, making the idea less than ideal.  The eastern (flat) side
already has fairly good cell coverage because of major highways in
it.  :)

That said, Wyoming State Government is the largest state user of
satellite telephones.  Really high cell sites.  :)