[aprssig] Too many digi's ?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Oct 20 10:21:41 EDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:04 AM, Joel Maslak wrote:

> What's the current channel loading, for instance?

Of course that's an important question, but the message that kicked
off this thread talked about the large volume of traffic.

> In Wyoming, we use several very high digis (3000' HAAT isn't
> unusual but more the rule).  No problem - we have a lightly loaded
> network.  Why not support wide-area communication if loading is low?

There's no reason not to, but realize that most of us don't operate
in such an area.

For a comparison, Wyoming was talking about launching cell sites on
high altitude balloons, so that two or three such cells could cover
the state.  North Alabama isn't all that highly populated compared to
some places, but I'd guess it is a lot closer to average than
Wyoming, and our cell towers are around 50' to 75' (and there are a
lot more than three).

-Jason
kg4wsv