[aprssig] Too many digi's ?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Oct 20 10:04:17 EDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:

> I've been speculating to myself that maybe we don't have enough
> digis.  If we got the existing digis down to a reasonable HAAT,
> thereby reducing the cell size, and added more digis we might get
> both better coverage and better control of the traffic. 3000' HAAT
> may be great for a voice repeater, but I suspect it isn't all that
> great for a digital network node.

There's no problem with it for a digital network node.  The problem
is if there are too many stations using it at once.  As you get one
that is higher, more and more stations can use it.

What's the current channel loading, for instance?

In Wyoming, we use several very high digis (3000' HAAT isn't unusual
but more the rule).  No problem - we have a lightly loaded network.
Why not support wide-area communication if loading is low?