[aprssig] D700 GPS connection

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 15:41:00 EDT 2006

cak at dimebank.com wrote:

> Those Astrodyne DC/DC units are very sweet looking! Any idea how well
> they deal with the wide voltage swings in old generator/regulator
> vehicles? My "battery" voltage sometimes dips to 9V, which plays
> havoc with a few things that want "12V" in.
>
> 73 de chris K6DBG

Many of the Astrodyne units are available in wide-input-range versions
for a few bucks more that can tolerate an input that varies over a 2:1
range.  I am currently using several 9-18 VDC input/ 12 VDC out
(isolated - no common ground) and 9-18 VDC-in/5 VDC-out  units in my
mobile SSTV LiveCAM installation.  A 1-watt 9-18in/5 VDC out unit
powers my permanently-installed car  "house GPS" (by contrast with
portable or mouse-type units I might temporarily place on the dash)  It
which supplies 4 different devices with data with excellent results.
The GPS never hiccups, even on voltage sags when I crank my Jetta's  TDI
turbo-diesel engine.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com