[aprssig] low power 2 meter exciter needed

Art KY1K at verizon.net
Tue Oct 3 12:16:06 EDT 2006

I need a simple, low cost and relatively inexpensive exciter (single
frequency) for 2 meters, and was wondering if users here might have
any ideas. I want it to take an 18 Mhz quartz crystal input and
output 10 to 30 milliwatts at 144 Mhz.

It's for a stand alone 2 meter transmitter that can be used for
trackers and weather station APRS.

There are some user programmable oscillators that are suitable for
clock drivers in microprocessors, they are not suitable, to much
jitter and are not stable enough to stay on the same frequency.

A PLL chip is ok, except that any chip I found takes a lot of support
circuitry (outboard divide by N counters and/or vco's), and they all
need a microprocessors to talk to the chip to determine it's divide by n value.

Maxim has some low power transmitter chips, but they are unsuitable
because the vco is built in and cannot oscillate at 2 meters (they
will only oscillate from 300 to 500 Mhz)... Unfortunately, they did
not bring provisions to the outside world for allowing the user to
change the vco's frequency of operation.

I'd rather not design multipliers myself, so I'm really hoping for a
ready made module or a simple to use chip.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Art