[aprssig] WinAPRS to work with an MFJ 1278 tnc

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Nov 23 18:09:03 EST 2006

Chris KB4CMF wrote...

> Thanks for your reply. You are correct - about not hearing any tones.
> I am not trying to digipeat. (At this point I don't know how to do that
> anyway). I'm just listening on another 2 meter radio and I
> don't hear any tones when I send packets.

It sounds like either the level out of the MFJ 1278 is too low or there is a
cabling problem between the TNC and the radio. I went to MFJs site, but
couldn't find a manual for it. Have you got one there? Some TNCs have a pot
or jumper inside for adjusting the level, and others do it through a command
from the keyboard.

> Also, I have a friend on APRS just a few miles away who has been sending
> me packets and I receive messages fine. But - he does not get my reply.

At least it's working in the receive direction. That's half the battle!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH