[aprssig] transceiver for APRS?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:42:11 EST 2006

> This reminds me of one thing i'd like the D700 to do -
> Change my status text to read "monitoring [insert freq
> in voice band here]
> [PL XXX.X/DPL XXX][+/-/SMX]".  I'm sure it wouldn't be
> hard to make a little Microcontroller to do this for me,
> maybe poll the radio every 2 or
> 3 minutes for the data, and enter the text....

There was a fellow that programmed a pic to do this a few years
back, but he said there didn't seem to be much interest in it.
This surprised me, because I never even knew he had dompleted it
and where he was advertising...?

I have lost my contact so don't know who he was or where...
Bob

> making it so this "new" radio could interface with other rigs
> (granted, it
> would be a limited set of radios, but i'm sure this could be
> expanded by
> the user, given the "computer control-ability" that we're
> talking about)
> to do something likt this would be neat....
>
> > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 kc9umr at freqradio.com wrote:
> >
> >> If it's an APRS specific radio, how important is frequency
agility?
> >> something that's computer configuarable (maybe the
> firmware defaults to
> >> 144.390 as a frequency, but you can re-configure it to
> default wherever
> >> you want) for standalone/tracker applications, and
> computer controllable
> >> for applications where you want that capability (home /
> >> "experimentation"
> >> applications).
> >
> > Depends on what you want to do.  If it has no voice
capability, then
> > one of the reasons for making it frequency agile goes out
the door:
> > That of going to the local repeater based on info received
on the
> > APRS channel.  One could still do this for packet/APRS uses
though,
> > like switch to a local channel for traffic/weather reports,
then
> > switch back for tracking.
> >
> > One could also have it switch to satellite frequencies based
on
> > predicted passes, tracking doppler if necessary, then switch
back
> > to the normal APRS frequency.
> >
> > Another use is for alternate APRS frequencies, but this
would
> > normally not require real-time agility, only a jumper or
programmed
> > setting.
> >

> >> Having a Tiny Trak type TNC (or a 2 way TNC, but something
> that's simple
> >> to use and setup, don't need a LOT of features, really...)
would be

http://www.eskimo.com/~archer