[aprssig] Preparing for a long roadtrip

John Langtry, VE3NEC ve3nec at sympatico.ca
Sun May 28 20:31:03 EDT 2006

Greetings Joel,

As far ask I know, the general rule of thumb is that
you have the same operating privileges as you do
in the United States and congratulations on your
recent upgrade of your ticket. So, APRS on 30M is
fine for you to use while visiting Canada.

I tend to agree with Bob, and I would make your
path as WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 as your path.

I also agree with Bruce, that as you're transmitting
your exact position, that it really makes the suffix
rather redundant.

Differences ? Station identification in Canada is
at the beginning, end and 30 minute intervals (vs.
10 minute in the U.S.); not really applicable to APRS,
but if you do any phone, you might keep that in mind.
Phone conversations will, of course, require the suffix.

Suggestion. When crossing the boarder, stop at your
customs folks, and declare your radio(s) & GPS. They
will give you a card with the models and serial numbers,
which will eliminate any problem when you return.

Comment. I'm convinced that our speed limits are more
of a suggestion than the law <g>. What our police are
on the "out look" for are aggressive drivers, and anyone
who is not wearing a seat belt.

Enjoy your stay in Canada, and I'll look forward to seeing
your call pop up on my screen.

vy 73 de John VE3NEC