[aprssig] APRS Bulletin/Announcement Format?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 28 17:34:03 EDT 2006

Bill,
but of course the flip side would be that if the sender simply
sent on RF, then all of his bulletins would have gotten out.
And since the sender was on RF, then he would be aware
of the RF network situation and could moderate his
load on the network.

I really think that allowing bulletins into a stricken
area from outside is just too much of a melt-down
scenario from which there is no recovery.  I agree
again that the idea has merit, but I cannot see
anyway to avoid the potential from disasterous
overload.

If someone has to send bulletins into a stricken area,
then maybe we need to have standard operating
procedures for the "establishment of a bulletin
gateway station" to get on the air on RF as soon
after a disaster strikes.  This vollunteeer station
near the affected area, but attuned to what is
going on on RF, can then collect individual messages
to him, that HE can convert to bulletins as needed.

In other words, we accomplish your objective, but
we have human intelligence in the loop, and solve the
problem by a procedural solution...

Just thinking out loud.
Maybe I need to write up a list of "APRS EMERGENCY
RESPONSE PROCEDURES" so that we can inlcude
this concept in them.

Bob

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 05/27/06 11:59 AM >>>

Speaking of bulletins...

I'd suggest we need to visit the IGATE systems and the technology to gate
bulletins from TCPIP stations (not TCPXX) to RF.   Getting information to
stations on RF is what this is all about.   Back at the 2001 quake here in
Seattle I was monitoring a voice repeater and generating bulletins with
the info I heard.  Unfortunately, since I as on a net station and not on
RF, my announcements were never transmitted.   I think that's an issue
that should be addressed.

I'm doing some minor battle with APRSD right now to open up a the rules a
bit on gating BULLETINS to RF.  How does that work with the other Igate
systems?

73
Bill - WA7NWP