[aprssig] APRS Bulletin by region

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 28 08:28:34 EDT 2006

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 05/27/06 10:18 PM >>>
>> I would think that any kind of bulletins-to RF might be
>> pandora's box.
>
>The lack ( or my perception thereof??) of actual human
>operation [on APRS] is another factor that both suggests
>it would be a good thing as well as not so much abused.

You certainly have a point there.  In the Balto/WashDC area
(one of the highest density APRS RF neworks on the planet),
I rarely see any human activity.  Nothing like it used to be.

I  can't help thinking it is due to how some of the clone
software just did not place a priority on Human operation.

1) visually distinguishing station symbols that are msg capable
2) visually distinguishing stations with an operator present
3) Bulletin page that does not distinguish between RF local
    and global bulletins.  The bulletin page is so flooded with
    global APRS-IS bulletins that any local bulletins (antenna
    party  at Joe's today ) are lost in a sea of  global spam
4) Same for "reading the mail".  Local operator messages
    are lost in a sea of global chatter of no local interest.
5) Map displays that have no local RF edges, hide the RF
    network and somewhat insulate the local user from
    his pals

In this aspect of APRS, the global view of the APRS-IS
has killed a lot of the practicality of APRS for local use.
I wish that these internet capable APRS clones had a
one-key "LOCAL MODE" that would instantly hide everything
not in the local RF environment.

I run an old laptop on RF only.  That way none of my
screens are cluttered by anything beyond local activity
(local here consisting of about 300 stations, though only
about 70 in my particular ALOHA circle).

>Hmmm.   Maybe the regional and state special destinations
>already covers this:
>
>wa7nwp>xxx:BLN1MD  :any white castle's in your area?

Now that is a good idea.  THough again, even I might
be tempted on Field Day to send a message one at a time
to each state saying BLN1MD: CQFD.   And if 30,000
of us did that, then it would be a nuclear melt down.

Maybe such bulletins could only be originated from within
the region.  But I have no idea how that could be
orchestrated without polygon lat/long filtering...

de WB4APR, Bob