[aprssig] APRS Bulletin/Announcement Format?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 27 17:42:07 EDT 2006

Bill,
I would think that any kind of bulletins-to RF might be
pandora's box.  There are 30,000 people that can
generate bulletins on the APRS-IS.  Opening up IS-to-RF
wormholes for Bulletins couild be a disaster.

Though I DO have sympathy for the need you describe.
But then again, even in an emergency, I dont think we
want even the potential for flooding of Bulletins from
outside the area (from the APRS-IS) into an affected
area tha already has enough problems and traffic?

I am open to suggestions, but it sure is like playing with
a nuclear option...

Bob

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 05/27/06 11:59 AM >>>

Speaking of bulletins...

I'd suggest we need to visit the IGATE systems and the technology to gate
bulletins from TCPIP stations (not TCPXX) to RF.   Getting information to
stations on RF is what this is all about.   Back at the 2001 quake here in
Seattle I was monitoring a voice repeater and generating bulletins with
the info I heard.  Unfortunately, since I as on a net station and not on
RF, my announcements were never transmitted.   I think that's an issue
that should be addressed.

I'm doing some minor battle with APRSD right now to open up a the rules a
bit on gating BULLETINS to RF.  How does that work with the other Igate
systems?

73
Bill - WA7NWP