[aprssig] D700A still relevant

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 23 19:56:20 EDT 2006

> I'm looking at replacing my ancient dual band mobile...with
> something new.
> Is it worth investing in a a D700 ?

You bet!  The D700 is a two-way APRS communications device and
much closer to the original intent of APRS as a tactical real-time
digital communications system.   "Tracking" is just one part
of APRS, though many people get the impression from some client
programs that that is all there is to it.

THe goal of APRS is to provide immediate digital 2-way communications
in the local area about everything to do with HAM radio.

> or am I better off buying a ... [simple tracker]?

Remember that most of ham radio is designed around two-way
communications with the receiver on 90% of the time and the
TX on arouind 10%.  Using APRS is the same way.  You want
to SEE what is around you, not just transmit.  WIth the D700
you can:

1) Send and receive Messages, Bulletins, Annoucnements, EMail
2) You can see all the other APRS staitons around you
3) You can see WX reports and WX data
4) You can see IRLP and ECHOlinnk nodes around you and their Freqs
5) You can see other traffic info and you can even place
     objects on the maps of others such as TRAFIC or WRECK, etc
6) You can reconfigure your path from the front panel to change
    your propogation and to change instantly to any of the APRS
    satellites that may come into view...

etc..

bob, WB4APR

regular dual band radio, and an additional 2M rig for use with a TT3 ?

> -Neil
Depends on what you want to do with APRS.  Do you want to be able to
send messages from your radio without having to hook up a computer?  In
that case, you should go with the D700.  If you only want a "dumb"
tracker, per se, to track your position on findU or some other service
or software package, then use an old 2m rig and an OpenTracker.  -73

--
Phillip Pacier - AD6NH		APRS Tier 2 Coordinator
Sales Associate			Baker to Vegas Digital Coordinator