[aprssig] APRS Secret Message Codes

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue May 23 12:22:28 EDT 2006

> APRS Messaging Secret Codes
>
> 0 - NO
> 1 - YES
> 2 - Can't talk now - XYL is watching and volume is turned down (getting in 2 trouble?)
> 3 - BRB - be right back  (3 == B)
> 4 - hi hi  (H/h looks like 4)
> 5 - Meet you at the normal (frequency/coffee shop) (5 == F)
> 6 - What's happening?  Que pasa? (6 == Q)
> 7 - 73's, good bye
> 8 - Honk - Jab (5+3 Hi Dave)
> 9 - Poke, nudge, hey there! (9 == P)

Note that the main reason for going with the digits is simply
because they are so easy to send from the front panel.  (Yes, my
mic is 'somewhere' in the back seat and not quick and easy to find.
It's another project on the list...)

Crude symbolism makes it fairly easy to remember.  9 looks
similar to P so when I "poke" somebody it's become
quick to remember that I need the 9.

A secondary list based on the primary letters (QADG...)
would be a good next step.

Bill