[aprssig] creating a race course

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 22 13:25:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Here are a few ways to get a custom course map:
>
> - use the multiline protocol
> (http://home.earthlink.net/~kg5qd/APRS_Multiline_Protocol.html) to
> create an APRS object that represents the course.  This method has the
> benefit of over-the-air transmission for stations who don't have the
> course map downloaded.  I don't know of a way to generate the object
> other than creating it by hand.
>
> - drive the course with your GPS, then use gpsman
> (http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/) to extract the track and make a
> shapefile out of it.
>
> - (xastir specific) have an APRS tracker drive the course, and convert
> that station's track to a shapefile.
>
> - (xastir specific) use the CAD drawing tool to draw the course.

There's another:  Plop an Object or Item down at the start of the
course with Xastir.  Click the move button at the top, then move the
object around the course with the mouse.  Once done, do a "Store
Track" from the Station Info dialog.  This will create a Shapefile
map if you've got Shapelib compiled into Xastir.  You can make a map
out of any station's track this way.