[aprssig] creating a race course

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon May 22 10:45:55 EDT 2006

Here are a few ways to get a custom course map:

- use the multiline protocol
(http://home.earthlink.net/~kg5qd/APRS_Multiline_Protocol.html) to
create an APRS object that represents the course.  This method has the
benefit of over-the-air transmission for stations who don't have the
course map downloaded.  I don't know of a way to generate the object
other than creating it by hand.

- drive the course with your GPS, then use gpsman
(http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/) to extract the track and make a
shapefile out of it.

- (xastir specific) have an APRS tracker drive the course, and convert
that station's track to a shapefile.

- (xastir specific) use the CAD drawing tool to draw the course.

I'm not sure how many APRS apps besides xastir can digest shapefiles,
though...

-Jason
kg4wsv