[aprssig] TT3 ISS path

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Thu May 18 14:55:16 EDT 2006

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> This path may often assure that you will -not- make it to findu.
> because I think FINDU is set to only recognize RS0ISS* packets
> digipeated *by* the ISS.   If someone is cluttering the
> terrestrail network by digipeating them from ISS over to APRS<
> then the RS0ISS will not have a * and will not show up ont he
> www.ariss.net page.   Bob

Those "RS0ISS" packets ARE digipeated by ISS...

The text "*" on a path can't be the only indicator that the digi has
been used.  Remember the text nomenclature is different for different
systems.   If a path of A,B,C* is seen, that implies A and B have
digi'ed if the text "*" is present on "A*,B*" or not.

It does appear you're correct, on only the final digi being flagged, at
least on a Linux box.  This packet from yesterday was digi'g first by
RS0ISS, then my D700 and finally by the local DIGI_NED system.

"060517190916 KC0TIK-14>T7QYWS,RS0ISS-3,WA7NWP-5,YYDIGI*:'2*il
u/]"4*}>Hello via the I.S.S. de Rob"

Who ever though of this silly idea of cluttering the terrestrial network
anyway?  (With maybe 10 or 20 packets every 95 minutes...)

From:  http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

"EASIER STILL! Simply program a PM memory for the D700 TNC to listen on
the satellite downlink and Transmit on 144.39. Then every packet from
the downlink will be digipeated to YOUR home station for entry into the
APRS internet system. Or, when your handheld THD7 is not in use, hook it
up. Why let these radios go to waste, when they could serve others! WOW,
talk about a boot-strap nationwide Satellite Gateway system!"